Minnie Williamson Gallery and Helen Macpherson Smith Trust Gallery
These two galleries usually display
works by Ballarat artists and works which show the evolution of
Ballarat from mining camp to thriving city.
The story of Ballarat from the time of
white settlement has been well recorded in both words and images.
The city has benefited from the presence of artists, both those who
brought their skills here and those who developed as artists here.
All have given us a visual perception and documentation of our
Ballarat's reputation as a centre of
artistic endeavour has been sustained by the presence of art
schools, from the first art school at the Mechanics' Institute,
established in 1875, to the current visual arts courses at the
University of Ballarat.
The Minnie Williamson Gallery
recognises Minnie Williamson, who studied art at the art school at
the School of Mines Ballarat and went on to work as an art teacher
in Victorian schools. Her brother was Hugh Williamson, whose
foundation has been a major benefactor of the Gallery.
The Helen Macpherson Smith Gallery
recognises the contribution to the 2001 extension of the Gallery by
the Helen Macpherson Smith Trust, which benefits Victorian
charities. In the colonial era, the Smith Brothers had extensive
interests in timber and construction. Adam and James Smith were the
proprietors of Smith Brothers Timber Yard in Doveton Street South,